We have the expertise to help you create a powerful, attractive resumé that will appeal to potential employers.
From business plans to website content, we specialize in composing text that is clear, concise, and informative.
We provide contingency and retained searches, offering our clients a substantial base of qualified individuals.
We Guarantee Our Professional & Executive Resumés
- Personalized resumé writing
- No template formats
- One-on-one personal interviews
- Skype for out-of-area clients
- No online, lengthy application forms to fill out
- Meet the writers who will write your resumé in person
- Do not trust your career to an (only) online service
- Contact the local Better Business Bureau to rate the resumé service
- Satisfaction guaranteed
Our resumé writing service is our most refined art. Your resumé is the initial contact and presentation to a company. It should be attractive, precise and possess strong and relevant content. Through an in-person consultation, our writers can extract the most powerful information that will appeal to potential employers. We do not just give you a form and create a resumé from a template.
Resumés should accentuate your skills/abilities and eliminate negatives in a very conservative manner, while overshadowing all of the other resumés the employer reviews. We achieve this through the feedback we receive from employers that we submit resumés to. Each resumé we compose is individualized and personalized for you.
We stopped using job objectives and employment goals over 35 years ago. Employers are primarily concerned with how you can assist and benefit them, not what you want. For that reason we emphasize your personal attributes, work ethic, skills and abilities and most importantly, diversify your work direction. Of course we can lock in a single direction if you so choose, but we discourage it.
With AAA McKinstry's style of resumé you won't have to make changes whenever you apply for a different position. Your resumé will already be diversified for these positions. We create your resumé in such a way that you won't need 3 or more different resumé versions. With very few exceptions, one resumé is all you will need. Whereas, the old-fashioned job objective narrows you to a single position or field and limits you.
AAA McKinstry's staff writers are employment trained personnel counselors and professional employment writers, not just data entry clerks or typists. The key is knowing which language to use that peaks the prospective employer’s interest. As part of our quality control we have multiple writers review your resumé for content, accuracy and relevancy to the direction of employment.
We also choose or eliminate words that receive positive or negative responses from the employer. Utilizing words such as "Progressive", "Challenging", "Growth" and "Advancement" may be negative. Many people think these are positive words, but frequently these words could be construed negatively as far as employers are concerned.
Our specially trained writers have the unique skill of extracting the most pertinent information. Our clients have expressed that after proofing their resumés, "I didn't realize I could do all of that, but I know I can." Other clients tell us, "I would hire myself." Our goal is for your resumé to appeal to a wide variety of readers. We do not know if the first person who reviews your resumé is in human resources, operations, accounting, sales, engineering, etc., hence the resumé must have a broad appeal and can not focus on only one reader.
To achieve an attractive visual appearance, we utilize a clear unique font, symmetrical layout of paragraphs and bullets, soft colored conservative papers and a conservative use of graphics to make you stand out in a stack of resumés. Our unique, copyrighted graphics will get you noticed and will get you read first out of the entire stack of resumés.
The process begins with a 10 to 30 minute free (no obligation) consultation with a certified personnel counselor/writer who will discuss your existing work background and direction. At the same time we will critique your existing resumé free of charge and point out any negatives you may have on your current or old resumé.
Some clients have never had a resumé prepared, primarily because they never needed one. You will be shown our different resumé models and the writer will make recommendations as to which models are the most appropriate and cost effective for you. Then you decide which resumé model you prefer.
Many clients do not know what positions they are qualified for. This is where our certified personnel counselor/writer will assist/counsel them as to their direction without charge. Most so-called "writers" have no concept, due to their lack of knowledge/experience, as to what direction the client should be geared towards career wise.
Although you may be a good writer yourself, it is hard to be objective about yourself. All of our writers, who have had extensive training in employment/resumé writing, would not write about themselves. Where do you draw the line as to overselling or underselling yourself? This is where we can be totally objective about you.
There are many computer generated resumé writing programs and books available, but they all look very generic. We really have not seen one book or online resumé program that is up-to-date or which markets/sells you adequately.
We have a proofing session in which you proof your resumé to your satisfaction, although 8 out of 10 clients like the resumé the way we have prepared it. If changes are desired, they will be gladly made and then you will receive 25 complementary copies of the best quality parchment or linen papers. For e-mailing purposes, we can supply you with an electronic copy of your resumé in Microsoft Word, Rich Text, HTML and PDF formats at no charge.
Additional services we provide are the creation of LinkedIn Profiles, Salary Histories, Reference Lists and Follow-up letters (Thank You Letters). The resumés we prepare have key words for scannable purposes.
Job Searching Tips
Through our years of experience, the following are practices that we have found successful for job seekers at all levels.
- Research fields and professions that you desire.
- Get a free critique by a skilled resumé writer. This is usually your first point of contact with a potential employer and your resumé should be viewed as a marketing document.
- Do not limit your resources. Utilize all potential sources. Sometimes the employment hunting process is a numbers game and the more contacts you make the better your chances.
- Personal and professional networking is still considered the most valuable employment tool.
- When e-mailing resumés, also follow up with a hard copy in the mail,on good quality, conservative color paper, if able to do so. Very few people do this. It gets you noticed.
- Post yourself on various online job sites, but only if unemployed.
- Contact several search firms and forward your resumé to those who place people in your field.
- Research companies that you are interested in working for. This exhibits initiative and employers want to hire people who want to work for them.
- Follow-up after an interview with a brief e-mailed and/or mailed "Thank You" note or letter. (Not a Handwritten Thank You Card)
- Contact former colleagues, supervisors, clients, vendors and friends to network and find out if they have any job openings and present them with a good quality copy of your resumé to present to their manager.
- Be flexible and open as each company has its own personality, culture and style.
- Dress appropriately and professionally.
- Thoroughly research information about the company and let the interviewer(s) know what you have found out and what impressed you.
- Arrive 10 minutes early.
- Greet the interviewer with a smile and firm handshake.
- Listen carefully and address the questions. Candidates often are so interested in stating what they want to say that they neglect to answer direct questions.
- Indicate that you have researched the company and ask some, but not too many questions.
- Do not bring up salary, benefits, vacation, etc. The interviewer will mention these if they are interested in you.
- Let the interviewer know that you are interested in the position and that you would like to work for him/her and the company. (Not Just The Company)
- Cordially thank the interviewer for his/her time.
Our employer paid agency/recruiting service is available to all potential candidates and is not limited exclusively to our resumé clients. Our goal is to provide mutually satisfying placement services to both the candidate and the employer, therefore, confidentiality for both is of paramount concern. Oftentimes candidates do not want it made public they are seeking new opportunities. Likewise, employers do not want it known that they are looking to outside sources.
The first step in our placement process is the submission of a resumé. After a Personnel Counselor reviews the resumé and there is an open position, the counselor will telephone you. The counselor will then describe the position to you in detail, including: duties, location, hours, salary and description of job requirements. If you are interested in the position the consultant will then either schedule an in-person interview or present your resumé to the employer, depending upon protocol.
We do not send out resumés without your knowledge. After interviewing with our client companies, the counselor will negotiate the salary on your behalf. Our philosophy is to provide each candidate the maximum amount of knowledge per position/company as to allow the candidate the ability to make an informed decision. This results in mutual satisfaction and longevity for both the candidate and employer. We strictly adhere to all labor laws.
10 ITEMS TO ASK AND LOOK FOR WHEN CONSIDERING A RESUMÉ SERVICE:
- How long have you been in business?
- Do you employ professional employment trained writers to produce the resumé or typists?
- Do you have various options, styles and prices of resumés or just one or two styles?
- How do you stay up-to-date with current industry trends?
- Do all of your resumés follow a standard format, or do you customize for each individual?
- Do you offer follow up and updating services? How long do you keep my resumé information on file?
- Do you work out of your home or are you in a committed business office location?
- Is the resumé service a one person operation at that location?
- Do the testimonials/reviews show dates or just sound generic and are undated?
- Can your resumé service write for recent graduates as well as up to physicians and top level executives?
Resumé Writing Tips and Articles
20 year old articles once published in the Orange County Register still referenced today.